Continuing with the tree related research i found Jeremy Walker. I first saw some of his work in a magazine called 'Practical Photography'. I chose these images as they are in a different format (panoramic) to the other photographers i have included so far.
This first image caught my eye as it is very striking. Firstly it shows a vast wilderness where the tree is somehow surviving! Secondly the colours are quite amazing. The colour of the sky against the snowy ground really adds to the atmosphere. Also the composition is unusual. The main focal point of the tree is placed in the centre of the image, rather than on one of the thirds. The distant mountain range is highest at the edges of the frame leading to a central valley behind the tree. This leads the eye directly to the black branches. The shape of the tree is such that it is recognisable despite it having no leaves, but at the same time looks almost alien in the barren landscape.
I picked this photograph as it illustrates that tree images don't have to include a tree standing upright to show it in a natural environment! This picture also includes various textures such as the silky water effect and the moss covered rocks against the bark.
This is another example of use of texture, as even at this small size you can clearly see the roughness of the bark.
This photograph is a nice example of how trees can be used to frame another point of interest.
This image shows how colour can be used to really bring out a simple composition.
I find this image quite intriguing as i didn't expect to see a group of trees on a beach!
This photograph highlights how important it is to visit a location at a certain time of year and day as this would have been a very different shot under different conditions.
The perspective created by the trees lining the river is interesting. The lines lead the eye into the bridge which is positioned on the bottom third off centre. The angle of view is quite low and really makes the viewer feel like they are floating down stream.
He makes amazing use of silhouettes in much of his work. This allows the image to be quite simple and graphic in appearance, and concentrate on the warmth of the light surrounding the blackness of the tree.
I like the perspective of this one. I like how the main tree is the largest in the frame with the others appearing from the mist behind it like an army.
I wouldn't be able to achieve such a wide angle of viewing with my compact but use of light and composition are more important.










No comments:
Post a Comment