The next photographer i found was Andrew Lawson. He is generally known for garden photography. I found his name in a book called 'The Garden at Highgrove'. I chose to look at his work as it was something a bit different to the usual natural landscape, offering instead a view of more cultivated foliage as part of a garden environment.
The composition of this first image is quite graphic with all the harsh lines and exact shapes. The garden is laid out in very precise blocks. The shape and position of the tree reflects the rest of the garden. It looks nothing like the large wild misshapen specimens of other nature photography. Instead it is highly manufactured and cultivated to a specific height and shape. It also shows use of the rule of thirds as the tree is positioned on the first third across, and an interesting combination of pattern and texture with the inclusion of various materials (wood, glass, concrete, foliage).

Use of colour perhaps isn't that strong compared to other photographers. I wouldn't describe these images as vibrant, but the use of light to create atmosphere seems more important.
I chose these images to show how trees can be used as an effective background to nature shots, not just as the main focal point.
The water in this image is used as a lead in line to draw the viewer in. This photo also shows a deep depth of field to include the background scene.
The perspective of this image seems quite unusual. I think this is due to the shape and position of the pond and benches.
This image is nothing like the others! It is a total contrast as it is of a wild unkempt tree in a harsh landscape, as well as being in black and white.
Aspects i would like to try and include in my own work are the use of attractive light and maybe some graphic shapes.








No comments:
Post a Comment