The idea was to take 5 photographs of 5 different objects in 5 different locations. Each picture had to include a person in some way. I did miss the lesson where this was explained so i hope i have done something relevent.
I found the task quite difficult for several reasons. Firstly i don't usually have people in my photographs, so i struggled straight away with how to include one. Also as i was using a compact for this exercise i didn't have the same options as a DSLR. The main example of this being control over depth of field. My camera has an aperture range of F3.3-6.3 and i don't know if i am doing something wrong but i can't see any change to depth of field using it. The only way i managed to include some minor control over that in my images was to switch to macro (as in the shot of the mini) and get very close to the object, causing the background to be very slightly blurred. Another point was how it coped without using flash. It seemed like anywhere indoors was too dark.
I had never used my camera on full manual before. This meant that i had too much to think about at once! The result of that was that amongst other things i forgot about the square format rule part way through...My other admission is that although it was on manual i didn't figure out the ISO. I did have a go at changing it but it just resulted in horrible noise so i let the camera pick after that. This may be due to the small compact sensor.
I did want to include something with movement to focus on shutter speed, which i got to experiment with in the yoyo shot. I did aim to get closer to the yoyo but i was a bit worried about a collision and zooming in just made it impossibly fast moving! Maybe a tripod would have helped here.
For this image i wanted the cup to fill most of the frame and keep a nice clean background. It turned out a bit dark as it was inside.
This image might cope as a square crop if it had more space at the top.
I can't imagine either of these last two working in square format at all. This image was mainly to use a different viewpoint.
If i had been using a DSLR i would have made the background much more blurred by using a wider aperture.
Hi
ReplyDeleteYou have created a good series of images which clearly shows me you have a grasp of working visually and technically. And can work to a small brief , ie 8x8 square which is harder than it looks.
Steve